Tuesday, 12 June 2012

When literal translations don't work...

I have been living here in Australia for long enaugh now to realise that 'literal' translation of 'jokes' or 'sayings' doesn't always work... well, it has taken a while to get to this point since I LOVE my spanish 'sayings'. There is one in particular that I loved saying when people assumed something from a little detail... for example: one day you make a mistake while driving with a friend and this friend tells everyone that you are such a bad driver... in this situation, when questionned about your driving you would say... (that's a literal translation) : "For a dog that I killed, they called me dog killer"... WELL... I used to say that a lot... but  most people didn't get it (...that I don't kill dogs and that nobody calls me dog killer...) so I don't say it anymore!
Probably what I like the most of this particular saying is that in Spanish it sounds very 'strong' with a lot of double Rs so when I say it (in Spanish) is very convincing! Try to say this: "¨...por un perro que maté, mataperros me llamaron..." yes, very strong statement, eh?
So, how would you say that in English? I would like to know...

2 comments:

  1. I think it is important for Australians to hear literal meanings of Spainish sayings. What does "leap of the tiger" mean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cream and Marshmellows (I know who you are because I have only used this saying once and you fell on to the floor laughing!!! so I never said it again...)I don't think the practice is real...but is a 'saying' to refer to a very 'heated' encounter in bed. Refers to the male partner jumping on to the bed from the top of the wardrobe or something high... you can search for videos if you type "el salto del tigre' ha,ha but as I said...not a real practice just a term to make a joke!!!

      Delete